You are currently browsing the category archive for the ‘colourwork’ category.

Despite the fact that I feel like a big pile of garbage today, I called in sick, I do have happy knitting news.  The fair isle yoke pulli is finally done and resting after it’s bath.  After many many rippings and reworkings I’m really pleased with how it’s come out; despite the frustration it caused at the time all the revisions really make it look polished.  As of last night the sleeves and the body were still about an inch shorter than I would have liked but I easily blocked a bit of length into them today.  fair isle yoke

I love how the cuffs and the bottom ribbing came out as well

.

I’m about half way through the second sleeve on the York pullover, the pattern is for a cardi but I’m altering it a fair bit.  The back is done and I’ll decide how I’m going to tackle the front when I get there.  I’m splicing all over the place to make the two sleeves match and I’ll probably do the same so that the front is similar to the back as well.

I finally got the neckline almost right last night but it took me three tries to get the bind off loose enough to get the sweater over my head.   The ribbing rides about a round or two too high at my throat and I’m trying to decide wether I can live with that or not. 

 For now I’m working on the body ribbing.  I was planning on doing just plain 2×2 in the main body colour but thought I’d pull some more colour in to balance out the yoke a bit so I’m trying some currogated ribbing.  The first attempt I made the knits the MC and the purls the CC but the transitions in the CCs was looking odd so I’ve ripped it and am doing it the opposite way.  I’m going to use all four contrast colours I think.  Once I see how it looks on the body I’ll decide what to do with the sleeves.  Of course that also means I’ll probably be ripping out the neck ribbing anyway so they all match.

 Despite the fact that it’s been 39C here today with the humidex I’ve also gotten a bunch done on hubby’s hunt camp quilt.   Pics to come tomorrow when it’s finally done.

finished yoke

I finally finished the third colourwork pattern on the fair isle yoke sweater last night, the last chart was super fiddly with colour changes every round but I wanted it done.  So I took it off the needles onto some waste yarn and tried it on… with all three colour patterns the neck comes up way too high and I had only knit one round of ribbing.  So this morning I ran a lifeline around about half way through the last chart and yanked back a ways to try the neck again.  I’ve done the last decrease round and I’m working on the ribbing so I’ll have to try it on again soon and see how it fits this time.

 Just trying it on for a few minutes last night I can tell that this is going to be a super warm sweater for the winter.  Everything except for the neckline fits really well right now and I’ll keep trying it on as I knit the rib down on the body and sleeves so they come out to a good length.  Right now it looks like I’ll have enough of the body colour for the ribbing, fingers crossed for that.  I’ll probably end up knitting a matching hat and mitts or something to use up all the ends of balls of the contrast colours.

so many ends 

The worst thing about this whole thing is that I’ve not been dealing with the ends as I go so there’s a whole mess of them that are going to need to be taken care of all at once.  At least they’ll be easy to hide with all the floats.  The yoke is pretty smooth so my colourwork is obviously getting better, there are some puckers here and there but it’s mostly from the decrease rounds and from trying to deal with the jog at the ends of rounds which shouldn’t be too hard to block out.